Breast pumps are nursing moms’ closest companions during lactation. They are used to remove and collect milk from your breasts for your baby. Mostly used by moms who are on the go, working or even stay at home moms. milk collected can be fed to the baby immediately or can be stored in breast milk storage bags or cups. The milk is stored in a fridge and most bags come with a write-on pad where you can be able to track the date.
The Best Breast Pumps in Nairobi Kenya are in the article below.
Skip to List of Breast Pumps Available
Some of the reasons why moms use breast pumps include:
- An engorged breast may make it difficult for a newborn to latch onto making a pump useful as it helps reduce the volume and soften the breast for the little one.
- To pull out flat nipples or inverted nipples.
- To stimulate milk production especially for moms with low milk supply.
- To provide breast milk for your child while you go out for an errand, school or a work trip.
- When you have a premature baby or a child who can’t breastfeed.
- To begin relactation if you had stopped breastfeeding.
There are different types and brands when it comes to breast pumps. Choosing a breast pump can be a bit overwhelming, you should first consider your budget and the time you'll need to express milk. We have two types available, manual breast pumps and electric breast pumps.
How much does breast pump cost?
Breast pumps range in terms of cost. The price varies based on it being manual, electric and being single or double electric. This makes it possible to pump faster. The prices start from KES 2,500 up to KES 66,352.
Which breast pump brand is the best?
The best brands available in Nairobi Kenya are;
Manual Breast Pumps
Manual pumps are pumps operated by hand, they are easy to carry around, affordable, simple to use and mostly used for occasional pumping. Below are simple steps to help you when it comes to using a manual pump.
- Familiarize yourself with the model of the pump by reading the user manual.
- Good hygiene is mandatory, clean your hands and ensure all parts of the pump are clean then find a quiet private place where you can pump while relaxed.
- Center the breast shield over your nipple and try as much as possible to think about your baby so as to stimulate milk flow.
- Start pumping and once the milk starts to flow adjust the rate to make it inconsistent similar to a baby’s sucking pattern.
- Alternate the breasts giving each breast ample time. Note that it’s very normal for one breast to produce more milk than the other.
- Remove the breast shield when you are done, unscrew the bottle and cover it with a cap.
- Refrigerate the milk right away or you can choose to store it at room temperature for up to four to six hours.
- Clean the pump with all its accessories and let it air dry.
You can check out some of the popular manual breast pumps here.
Electric Breast Pumps
They express milk more quickly as compared to manual pumps, are less time consuming, require less effort when pumping and some offer the double pumping function i.e allows you to pump from both breasts. Electric pumps are however noisy, a bit heavy and expensive. There are several features to look out for before purchasing one:
- Ensure the model is easy to carry, clean and assemble.
- Double Pumping Function which will help cut pumping time by half and also boost milk production as you’ll be emptying both breasts at once.
- A pump with a high cycling time i.e the number of times it sucks per minute.
- An adjustable vacuum that allows you to express comfortably.
- Pumping sessions - if you’ll be pumping more frequently than a double electric breast pump will do as it saves more time while if you’ll be pumping less frequently then a single electric breast pump will do.
There are several brands of breast pumps available worldwide. Whichever you choose depends on your needs, pocket, and functionality. Some of the most popular brands include Lansinoh, Medela, Avent and Beurer, Intelligent and others.
For breast pumps to work efficiently, pumping accessories are needed.
Milk collectors can serve as breast pumps, but are more useful in collecting let down while baby if feeding on the other breast. They can also be used when expressing, and when doing breast massages in the shower to prevent wastage of the liquid gold.
Most pumps come with the basic pumping accessories that include: a portable charger, a carrying bag, rechargeable batteries, milk storage bottles, etc. A handful of essentials are still needed to make the pumping journey less messy and easy for moms:
Milk Storage Bags - Made specifically for storing milk in the freezer, It is advisable to have extra bags than the ones that come with the pump for those that come with it. They are thicker than normal storage bags and lined with nylon to prevent milk fat from sticking to the sides. Milk Storage
Valves and Membranes Kit - The valves and membranes help improve the suction of the breast pump during pumping hence increasing the milk output The valve and membrane should be replaced on a regular basis depending on how often you pump. Breast Pump Spares
Pump In Style Advanced Replacement Tubing - It is a spare or replacement to worn or damaged tubing making it easy to ensure optimal performance of your breast pump.Breast Pump Spares
Breast Shields and breast pump cushions - The Breast Shields help babies that have a latch-on issues related to premature, small, or ill infants as well as flat or inverted nipples. Breast Shields and Pump Cushions
Nursing Pads - Nobody ever wants to walk around with their blouse or dress showing leakage that’s why nursing pads help a lot. If you’re looking to save money, washable pads are a go-to option compared to disposable nursing pads.Nursing Pads
Pumping Bra/Bustier - A hands-free pumping bra is always a game-changer as your arms get a break and your hands are free to cook, change diapers, fold clothes, or scroll through the pages of a magazine. Pumping Bra/Bustier
Micro-Steam Bags - Hygiene is very important when it comes to handling breast pumps and their accessories. Micro-steam bags help a lot as you just pop your items into the bag and into the microwave. It helps a lot in cases where one doesn't have the electric steam sterilizers or a place to boil the parts. Sterilizer Steam Bags
If you have any interest in pumping accessories, check them out here.